Learn how a nomadic mindset helps you see where you are going!
Do you and your team understand and embrace change and disruption?
Check out the video of our podcast here:
Offering a fresh worldview, a new perspective
What is a nomadic mindset?
- Recognize and accept that your environment is changing
- Identify as an agile group that moves toward opportunity
- Harness the wisdom of your community to make decisions
One thought I want to leave you with
Get to know Anthony Willoughby
Raised in Africa and schooled in the UK and the US, Anthony was 22 when he bought a one-way ticket on the Trans-Siberian Express to Japan in search of inspiration, adventure and opportunities. In 1982 he took his first journey to the highlands of Papua New Guinea to stay with the Chimbu Tribe. There, he discovered how important a territory is to a tribe and its leaders, and how a map can provide power and clarity to different cultures and debates. It was during this expedition that he encountered a persistent complainer, which led him to establish his "I Will Not Complain" team-building and leadership development programs in Japan in 1989 and in China in 1992.
In the years since, Anthony has developed a visualizing process called “Territory Mapping,” inspired by conversations with tribal chiefs in remote villages in Papua New Guinea and Kenya. This process has been described as a method that " enables you to crash through civilization and see where you are and where you are going with new clarity.”
Anthony has ridden paddle steamers down the Nile, was briefly a bullfighter, and has scaled some of the world's biggest peaks, such as China’s 7,546-meter Mount Mustagh Ata, without porters or oxygen. Now based in the UK, he makes regular trips to Africa and Europe, delivering programs and expeditions for individuals, and spreading the word about the Nomadic School of Business. His clients have included AIA, Ogilvy, AXA, Mars, Qatar Airways, IBM, Ferrari, Dyson, London Business School, Chubb, and Google.
To learn more about how to be a more effective leader, check out these blogs and podcasts
- Blog: 5 Simple Lessons The Maasai Can Teach Today's Business Leaders
- Blog: How a Bold, Curious Leader Turned Laclede Chain Around
- Podcast: Kimberly Davis—Leading Change: Are You A Brave Leader?
- Podcast: Ask Andi—How Anthropology Helps People See Things With Fresh Eyes
- Anthony's program: Nomadic School of Business
- Anthony's TedxTokyo Talk: In Search of Inspiration
- My book: "On the Brink: A Fresh Lens to Take Your Business to New Heights"
- Our website: Simon Associates Management Consultants