Eighth episode of Ask Andi
Here is the 8th episode of my Ask Andi series—short 15 minute podcasts every Friday where I take a question and then offer tools, tips and strategies to help you re-think it and tackle it in new ways. In today's episode, I talk about how as humans, we are born to lie. In fact, lies to some extent keep our relationships, even our cultures and societies, functioning. I also examine the question: Should we always be entirely truthful?
In this episode, I discuss:
- Your “story-brain,” aka the reason you lie
- How often people lie and how you’re included from those numbers
- What a lie really is
- The five rules of lying
- Shared perceptions of reality
- Whether lack of truth always equalls a lie
- If our relationships would thrive without lying
- Using lies to solidify the abstraction of reality
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- NY Daily News article: "Pants On Fire! The 5 Most Important Rules of Lying"
- My book: "On the Brink: A Fresh Lens to Take Your Business to New Heights"
- Simon Associates Management Consultants website